Jul 2, 2018

Monday Cabin Update

Finally time for another cabin update. Remember I told you I heard rumors about the cabin while we were away in Michigan last weekend. Guess what my Dad and Uncle did while we were gone...
 
They got the floor of our deck finished! Plus a ramp so Jeremiah can get his Titan power chair right up and in the cabin if he wants to. We will work on the top together. The deck is just wonderful. No more stepping in and out of the cabin. I can't wait to enjoy sitting on it and listening to the birds and maybe even putting in some X's.

This weekend the weather was a hot hot hot. We even had an extreme heat warning Friday through Sunday which we hardly ever get here. Felt like 110 degrees they said most the weekend. But Friday after Fred got off work we headed down to the cabin anyway. Luckily Dad had stopped over earlier Friday and turned on our AC for us. It was nice and cool by the time we got there.

Oops wait before I talk more about the weekend I have a fun story to tell you about Friday during the day. I heard they were re-issuing the Mini Nintendo. This is a game system I had when I was like 10 years old. They released a mini version with 30 games stored on it. Nintendo put it out before Christmas one year but they only released a few and they sold out instantly all over town. People would buy them to sell online for way over the price it was supposed to be. So frustrating. So I figured there was no way I would be able to get my hand on one this time around either. Friday lunch time I called one of the local game stores and they had one! So we rushed out to get it. I even found the mini SNES which I heard they are going to stop making again soon so to get one while I could...
I had so much fun showing Jeremiah these old games when we got home Friday. What a blast from the past. Somehow we lost 2 hours of time fast haha. So we decided to pack a small TV and took them to the cabin with us. Friday night Fred, Jeremiah, and me laughed and laughed while playing our new/old game systems.

We didn't get a lot done this weekend progress wise. It was just too hot and miserable outside. We were able to get the last two support beams finished though...
If you remember these were just 2x4s and now they are built up and look so much more like log cabin beams. Beautiful! They just took a lot of time. A lot of measuring and cutting. My Uncle explained the rest will go a lot faster. No worries. We are enjoying the process so much.

Saturday afternoon everyone left or had things to do so Fred, Jeremiah and I went out for a delicious Mexican dinner and then to Walmart to stock up on some goodies we needed. We decided to buy a DVD player and Saturday we ended our Saturday night with a movie night.  Another perfect thing to do inside the AC while relaxing in our fantastic cabin. Here are a few other pics from the weekend...
 
 
 
My Dad has several barn cats on the property. One has warmed up to us finally and even came in to visit with us in the evening in the top photo. We think he enjoyed the AC too haha. Following that are a few pictures of us playing the games together. The last picture shows how Jeremiah deals with the heat. Relaxing reading a book. Perfect! The cabin is exceeding our expectations already and it's not even "done" yet. We just enjoy every second we are there. The good thing about this week now is Wednesday is the 4th of July. Fred had the day off work. So he asked about taking off Thursday and Friday too and was approved. So you should be able to guess what we are going to do.....have a 5 night stay at our cabin. Wohoo! We are heading down tomorrow night after he gets off work. We can't wait. We have a stack of DVDs we want to watch and just haven't had time for when we are at home. Hopefully we'll also get some progress in on the cabin if this stupid heat settles down a bit. It's really coming along. Just more perfect every step.

On the way home Sunday we got a flat tire on our truck. Not exactly the end of the weekend we wanted. But my fantastic hubby was able to get us off the interstate safely and to a gas station. He changed the tire quickly in the 94 degree heat and we were back on the road very soon...
 
 

Now I'll go post a stitching update....stay tuned.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

I love your Cabin updates just as much as your stitching ones! It's really looking more like a home now. Everyone must feel so proud of the work they've done towards it.
I'm with Jeremiah with the heat - anything over 25C (77F) and I hibernate as much as possible!

Faith... said...

WOW the cabin looks great; both inside and out! I am one of the weird people who loves the heat but I know most people can't take it and get sick from it. I hope you guys have a great long holiday weekend at the cabin. Stay safe with the fireworks!

Justine said...

Happy 4th of July! Hope you're having a wonderful time in your lovely new cabin.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

You're all having so much fun I'm half expecting to read a post saying you've sold the big house and are living in the cabin!
Hope it's not too hot for you this week.

Julie said...

Happy 4th July.... Hope you are having fun in your cabin with those you love.

Astrids dragon said...

What great memories you're making in the cabin, I love it!