Aug 20, 2018

Monday Update

Hey it's Monday and another Monday that I have a whole bunch to tell you about. Pull up a chair and let's chat...

Last Monday I finished off the August Durene Jones pillow and got it on display. I just need to update my finishes page. Then I got 4 days of progress in on the Frosted Pumpkin Halloween piece. I teased you in my last post and told you I had worked on it but no progress picture till I got the rest of Thursday and a little of Friday on it. I had a goal and I met my goal of finishing off the H and A blocks Friday morning. Here is the picture finally...
This is 6 days total now. It's a fun piece to work on. Goes quickly and that is always nice. Friday started IHSW (International Hermit Stitch Weekend) Fred had a meeting after work so I got a little extra time before we headed down to our cabin for the weekend. We also had planned a lazy weekend away at the cabin so I thought I would get a lot of time in both days of the weekend. I decided to stick with the Halloween theme and pulled out these fun Halloween Mini's by Artecy...
I had started these for the January challenge in 2016. I am doing 8 of them since there are 4 of them I just don't care for. I am doing them on individual aida pieces so I can finish them into either pillows or cubes to display. I finished the pumpkin face in August of 2016. I didn't get the project back out till September 2017 unfortunately. That month I got a start on the skeleton face and had 1 day of progress on it...
I thought it was about time to get back to it. Friday I was able to get this much added to it...
Kinda creepy looking. Saturday I was able to steal time throughout the day at the cabin...
Now he is staring at me telling me to hurry up! Jeremiah told me at least the rest of the stitching looks like a nice smile right now haha. Sunday was so busy that I didn't get any stitching time. This one is still literally demanding to be worked on.....those eyes.....so it will stay out until I can get it to stop.

Next topic....our time at the cabin. Remember how I said it was going to be a lazy relaxed weekend. Yeah right haha.

Not only was it IHSW for me but it was a contest weekend for Fred's Ham radio hobby. They had a national contest where lighthouses and lighthouse ships setup radio event stations and broadcast. If you make a contact with them you get a postcard in the mail for making the contact. Fred setup his radio stuff on our porch and messed with it on and off Saturday throughout the day to make contacts. He also found out it was a contest weekend for all of North America so the radio waves were really busy which made it hard to find only the lighthouses participating plus he has now discovered he needs to invest some money into a better antenna to make better contacts. Which I told him it's perfect timing with Christmas being so close. Santa needs a shopping list you know? Here are some photos of all that fun...
 
 
The bottom picture is something I made up to show all the contacts he made for the contests.

Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon Fred also helped my Uncle and his step son with extending my Grandparent's cabin porch roof. They wanted a covered porch like we have. It only had a little 4 foot covered section before...
Not quite finished but boy they got a lot done already. Sunday we got together and finished up the rest of Dad's corn and got it cut and bagged up. We have to shuck it, cook it, and then cut if off the cob. Then you put it in ziplock freezer bags and this winter you just take it out and cook it when you're ready for delicious corn off the cob. Here are some pictures of that...
 
 
 
 
The last picture shows my Grandma and me cutting it off the cobs. It's hard work but so worth it. So our lazy weekend we had thought we would have was busy busy but we enjoyed it so much.

I told you I had a lot of chat about. I hope everyone has a great week. Hopefully we can all work in those X's too. The skeleton eyes are demanding attention from me haha.

10 comments:

Astrids dragon said...

Look at you go, more great stitching! I love the way the skeleton looks so far!
Does Jeremiah get to talk on the radio with Fred? He looks like he's enjoying it.
Teamwork on the porch and corn, win win!

rosey175 said...

Creepy eyeballs! I'm glad you're gonna continue on so it's not staring at you from the project bin ahaha~

Shucking corn! Out of snapping beans, shelling peas, and shucking corn, I would have to say the corn was my least favorite activity. It's worth it in the winter though, yummy.

Rachel said...

Why am I not surprised you all had another fun-filled busy week?! The Frosted Pumpkin piece is too cute for words, and it's good to see a long-neglected WIP reappear too. Creepy to think that Halloween's only a couple of months away. :)

Sasha said...

Wow, you were busy!

Mii Stitch said...

That's another weekend that has been flying by too quickly! :) Great stitching, love the look of the skeleton!

Bethan said...

Great stitching, and I see what you mean about the skeleton urging you to finish it! Looks like a very busy weekend - I'm impressed you squeezed some stitching in x

Faith... said...

Looks like a fun weekend! The Skeleton does look a little creepy! But Halloween looks great.

Brigitte said...

Such a busy weekend for all of you. Getting busy together with others is always a lot of fun, isn't it?
Great stitching progress, Katie.

Julie said...

Time flies when you are busy and enjoying yourself doesn't it. What a nice reminder of summer days the corn will be when you eat it later in the year.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Great work on the spooky stitching!
The group cornshuck looks fun except Jeremiah seems to be eating it and not shucking LOL