Dec 1, 2018

The People's Choice -- Dragons

The wonderful Jo has decided to host yet another wonderful blog adventure. On the first Saturday of every month we will be given a theme to post about. Go here to see what others have posted. It's so much fun to come up with a post off of a word. Plus to see how everyone interprets the same word and makes their own post about it. This month will just be a hard one for me *said with lots and lots of sarcasm* Dragons!!! Oh what will I post about. My online identity is commonly known as dragonsluver. There is no way I would know anything about dragons right?  No way would I be able to come up with a post about it right?

Let's take a look around on a few of my walls...
My Aunt hand painted this beautiful dragon wrapping around a castle in 1988. I was only 9 years old at the time. Later when she realized my love of dragons she let me have her beautiful painting. She said no one including her two sons would appreciate it more than me. Boy was she right. It hangs in my bedroom to be seen every morning when I wake up.
I finished this one in 2015. It's called Blackwork Dragon from Dragon Dreams. I used a thread from Victorian Motto Sampler Shoppe called Violet Mist.
I finished this one in 2010 before I kept better record keeping. It's from Joan Elliott. I think it came in a book with several other designs called Bewitching Cross Stitch. I even have the book signed by her. The ladies in my local stitching group received is for a giveaway and kept it back to give it to me because again they knew my love of dragons. I left off the border for this one because I thought it was just perfect without it.
This one is a freebie from Teresa Wentzler called Stretch. It's the first and only TW I will ever stitch. It was so much work! I was looking and looking through my records and I can't find the date anywhere. It had to be before 2007 that I finished it! Wow!! It was the first piece I ever had professionally framed. I remember that.
This one was finished in 2009. It was a tribal tattoo that someone's husband got. The lady had converted it into a pattern and gave it to me again because of that love of dragons you heard me maybe say before in this post haha. Fred picked out this crazy blue linen and a Needle Necessities variegated thread. I remember I said the colors choices were horrible and the lady at the stitching store agreed with me. It just looked like it would clash but after the first lines of stitching I fell in love. When I took it back to be framed the lady said Wow was we both wrong! The colors were just perfect for such a crazy weird pattern anyway.

This corner is my stitching area and both walls have dragons watching over me while I stitch...
Over the way by the TV that I look at all the time is this one...
This was my first finished Heaven and Earth Design called Pirate Dragon. I finished him in 2011. I am so proud to have not only one but two framed HAED on my walls. (The other is a fairy so she doesn't get to be in this post.)

Let's look at my WIPs......Okay better do just a few....
Embers from Fire Wing Designs is on a beautiful tie dyed fabric that I got from a lovely blogger who has since stopped blogging. I really want to get back to it though...
I have the first page finished. I wanted a pattern that the fabric would really show off and Jo helped me into purchasing two beautiful dragons. I haven't started the 2nd dragon that I bought since I have another fabric just a beautiful as this one. I posted about blaming Jo for making me get these two new projects June 25, 2015. Jo it's nice to know  you've been a bad influence for such a long time now haha. To spread the enabling to others click here to see FireWing's designs now available on Etsy.

In 2016 I started Little Snap Dragon by Kustom Krafts. I only worked on it one day for the January starts and I've never picked it up again...
I don't know why either. I love that pattern. Definitely one that needs to come back out soon.

If you follow me currently you'll know I just fell in love with a new dragon too...
Stanley Morrison has done an amazing line of dragons in all kinds of different drinks and Paine Free Crafts has done them into gorgeous charts. So I'm sure there will be more of these in my WIP pile in my future. Hubby is demanding it at least haha.

So this is getting to be a long post. I'm not done by any means. I have tons of dragon decorations. I have several more dragon WIPs that I could talk about. These are the quick few that wanted to be included in this post. Next month the theme is New Starts....which we all know is something I do a lot of too haha. So please come back and see what I come up with for that post. Thanks for stopping by.

9 comments:

kjsutcliffe said...

You do have an amazing selection of dragons, lovely photos and stories , thank you for sharing 😊

Rachel said...

Thank you for the tour around your dragon projects. They're all lovely but I think Beer Dragon has to be my favourite, perhaps because he has a 'scruffier' look than is usually associated with dragons. And he's just so darn cute!
I also followed the link... you failed to enable me!!! :)

rosey175 said...

Hah, I thought you might be able to scrounge up with something for this theme! I really love the picture your aunt painted. Did she use the TW cross stitch pattern for inspiration or maybe the cross stitch pattern is inspired by her! Stretch is magnificently framed.

Ariadne said...

Wow! You are really into dragons. I wouldn't/couldn't stitch all those!Go to my blogpost about dragons and laugh with what I stitched!AriadnefromGreece!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in the SAL this month with a wonderfully inspiring post!

I love your Aunt's painted rendition of the Teresa Wenztler design, that one is a real Rite of Passage for stitchers. I stitched it in 1994, I'd only been stitching for one year. I guess I didn't know any better LOL

You really do need to get that Firewing design out on the gorgeous fabric and Little Snapdragon too. He won't be on my list next year unfortunately, maybe the year after. Or the one after.

We need a follow-up post for all the other dragony-goodness you talk about!

Astrids dragon said...

Oh, my Dragon Sister, I LOVE them all!
The one your Aunt painted is awesome, that is a wonderful painting to wake up to every morning.
All your dragons are amazing and when you decide to pick up the Snap Dragon again, let me know because I have it too.
I think the Beer Dragon might be calling my name, who says it has to call DH!
I'll try and post mine this week, I have more figurines than stitching though.

Julie said...

A talented Aunt you have, such a beautiful painting, what a great gift.
Lots of amazing dragons you have around you, many hours of stitching joy gone into those.

Mary said...

They are all very beautiful works of art.

Pamela said...

You have quite a collection!