Feb 20, 2014

Lost Friend

Yesterday Clay had a bad seizure. I've never witnessed that and it was really hard. We took him to the vet to recheck his blood. His numbers were getting lower so we knew there was something wrong. They decided to send it away for further testing.

He was tired and the vet said that he would be cause of the seizure. He did enjoy some new jerky treats I got yesterday for him. First time all month he really enjoyed a treat.

Early this morning I heard a little whine. So I got up to check on him. He was losing his battle. My husband and I pet him and told him we didn't want him to be in pain any longer. It was so hard to witness but I'm glad we could be with him in his final moments. Reminding him how much we loved him for the 12 years we've been his family.

Our other dog Izzy sniffed him and I was trying to explain it to her. It's so hard to watch her grieve. I know as much as my heart hurts her little heart is more than likely feeling that same way.

Jeremiah and I had a good cry this morning together. Brought up a lot of memories. Clay was a puppy mill dog and had a lot of problems with other people but we did the best we could to give him a happy home. He didn't have to live outside. He got blankets to hide under and chewies all the time. I hope he enjoyed his life with us. We sure enjoyed knowing him. 

13 comments:

Jan said...

Oh Katie I'm so sorry for your loss. I know what it like to lose a pet that more like a family member. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Shebafudge said...

So sorry for your loss Katie. Hopefully he is running around in doggie paradise enjoying himself. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. It is so hard to lose a much loved pet. xx

Linda said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Katie. Just know that he is in a happy place.

Linda

Emma/Itzy said...

So sorry for you loss, it is so hard to lose our furry friends xx

Justine said...

So very sorry for your loss. I will remember you all in my prayers xx

Terri said...

I am sure he had a wonderful life with you! I am sorry for your loss! We had to let my mom's little 18 year old poodle go a couple weeks ago, so I know how you're feeling. I did the same thing!

Hugs and prayers!

Terri

Minnie said...

I'm sorry for your loss, I'm sure Clay knew he was in a very happy and caring home.

jhm said...

Katie

I'm sure he felt secure with your family. I know you would never do anything but love a pet. Meanwhile, hang in there.

Jackie

SoCal Debbie said...

Oh I'm so sorry for you and your family for losing your precious dog. But it's wonderful that he had such a very long and happy life with you!

Meari said...

Sorry to hear of your loss, Katie. He's not suffering now and happily bounding around in doggie heaven.

Pat said...

So sorry to hear you lost Clay. You gave him a very happy life and should be proud of that. He will be waiting for you at the bridge.

Sara said...

So sorry about your loss. It's so hard when you loose a furry family member. But I believe he was very happy to be part of your family. He is no longer in pain. I'll be thinking of you. Hugs

Sara said...

So sorry about your loss. It's so hard when you loose a furry family member. But I believe he was very happy to be part of your family. He is no longer in pain. I'll be thinking of you. Hugs