Oct 10, 2016

Hurricane Matthew

Well I just now got internet back so I'm trying to hurry and post this.

Hurricane Matthew decided to surprise everyone and come visit OBX area even though he wasn't supposed to. Saturday it was supposed to get stormy we did know that. We had bought groceries and stuff and was prepared to stay in for the weekend just in case. We ate one meal out and then got back to our room just as the rain was starting. Yeah it was windy but it was just like 30mph gusts. We weren't too worried. Our power flickered a few times but we looked like we were okay. We went to bed and laid there listening to the wind howl. 4 am I woke up to crazy wind!! We are on the 4th floor and I swear the whole room was shaking. I saw a wind report of 94mph just down the road!! My biggest concern was the huge glass window shattering. Jeremiah was doing fine. He really wasn't too scared. We just both kept saying Serious wind settle down. I walked laps of the room to hold down the fort. I admit I was scared. The power transformers were flashing. The lightning was bright blue with the fierce force of the power poles popping and breaking.

We realized of course we weren't going to be moving to Myrtle Beach Monday so delayed that trip yet another day. The lady at the front desk wasn't surprised. The people who are here aren't leaving the people who aren't here aren't coming haha. We had power till 10:30 Sunday morning. We shockingly got it back 2 hours later. They keep saying more than a million people are without power. Can't believe it. The highway 12 here lost huge sections north and south of us. The flooding last night from the sound side was amazing. Our parking lot was full of sand. The waves were almost scary. They were over 10 ft high and would form into one HUGE long wave.

The good news. Our van was protected and other than some sand that wipes right off it's fine. We are safe and we were fine. We survived. Yes it was scary but honestly I will never ever forget this experience. I'm not upset that we went through it. Now that it's over it was pretty neat. Even Jeremiah said boy we'll never forgot this trip!

Tomorrow we are moving to Myrtle Beach. They got hit pretty hard. The hotel we were supposed to stay at still doesn't have power. So the retreat coordinator has arranged us to get moved to another hotel. I'm worried about it. I hate the not knowing but I keep telling myself it will work out. Just want to get there safely. A lady arrived there today and said it's a FANTASTIC hotel and the move probably worked very much in our advantage. So I'm really hoping that's true. Sorry for not being able to check in for so long. It was a crazy few days.

10 comments:

Justine said...

Glad to hear you are safe.

Mii Stitch said...

You're all safe, that's the most important x

Brigitte said...

That all sounds very scary, Katie. But it's so good to know that you are safe.

Maggee said...

I am glad you are safe!! This area was and still is dealing with flooding, which was also NOT expected. And where my daughter and I were in the mountains, it ALSO hit! Hope the new hotel is a really good one! Have fun!

Unknown said...

I can't even imagine. Your detailed post is WOW. Thank you for sharing. So glad you are okay.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a relief to hear that you are OK. It sounds very scary and worrying. I hope the retreat hotel is wonderful and makes up for the stress of the last few days.

Claudette497 said...

I'm so glad you're okay - it sounds like a terrible night!

Bea said...

It's good to hear you're safe and man, do you have a story to tell now that it's all over. I hope the rest of the trip is smooth.

Diana Stitching said...

Sounds very frightening - glad you're all safe x

Heather said...

I'm glad you made it! We didn't have a hurricane all 6 years we lived in Florida and moved before this one:)