Jan 4, 2019

First Finish of the Year

January from Sand, Sea & Cross Stitch Book
Picture is Front and Back Photo Together
Stitched on 14ct White Aida Fabric
Threads are Suggested DMC
Jan 2nd. Took 3 Days. 
 
Mom's first monthly pillow is all finished and put together. So not only a finish but a finished finish.
 
I need to take a moment now to honor my dear friend. I got the call Thursday morning at 2am that my dear friend had lost her fight with cancer. We met this family through our hobby Geocaching. We met in 2006 and for some reason we just clicked. Throughout the years we have became family practically. Their son who is 16 now is Jeremiah's best friend. He's the one in the photo I shared of Jeremiah and him swimming together in October. She was told in October she had 2 to 6 months to live. We luckily got to see her two times before she left us. When Bernice passed Damein wanted to call his Aunt Katie and I'm so thankful he knew he could call me no matter the time of night. We will miss her so much. She was a wonderful mom, wife, and friend. Please keep her family in your thoughts and prayers.

15 comments:

Pink Rose said...

Hi Katie wow I love your pillow such a lovely project you finished.
I am so sorry to hear of your dear friends passing and so glad her son had you to talk to ,sending you a big hug xx

Amy said...

Way to go on your first finish of the year!

It is so sad about your friend passing away. That's so young. *hugs*

Claudette497 said...

What terrible news to start the year; I'm glad you were able to spend time with your friend in her final months. Your pillow is adorable, great job finishing your finish.

Unknown said...

Sorry about your friend, love your pillow and congrats on your first finish of 2019.

Rachel said...

Congratulations on your first finish of 2019; it's adorable!

The world can be so unkind sometimes. Sending thoughts your way. xx

Justine said...

So sorry to read about the loss of your friend. Perhaps you could stitch something to honour her memory?

Terri said...

So sorry for your loss!!

Carol said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to read this about your friend, Katie. It sounds like you will be playing a very important roll in her son's life...

Your little pillow is adorable--I just love the colors and design of the whole thing :)

Faith... said...

So very sorry for your loss Katie. Glad you got to see and spend time with her while there was time. Praying that you will be able to remain close to the son especially now as he will need someone to reach out to.

Congratulations on your first finish of 2019! I bet your Mom was happy to see it.

Ariadne said...

I am sorry for your friend's loss! AriadnefromGreece!

Bethan said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. Sending you, your family and her family good wishes x

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

That's an adorable little pillow, this is going to be a lovely set by the end of the year.
I was so sorry to hear about your friend. I am sure you are all supporting her son right now.

Aurelia Eglantine said...

My condolences on the loss of your friend Bernice, she sounds like a lovely woman. Cancer is such a devastating disease and seems to be more prevalent than ever. Hope you will find comfort in good memories, in time. Your first finish of the year is beautiful.

Astrids dragon said...

Mom must be very happy to receive January, it looks great.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, it's never easy losing someone so close. I know you'll be there for her family and so special that Jeremiah and Damein are best friends. Of course I'll keep them in my prayers.

Carla - Alaska Wolf Pack said...

I am so sorry for your loss! cyber hugs to you and the family <3