Jan 5, 2019

The People's Choice -- New Starts

It's the first Saturday of the month. This means it's time for a post on the Let the People Choose Topic of the Month. This month the theme is New Starts.

Anyone who reads my blog knows I'm all for new starts. Hence why I have 71 pieces in my WIPs totes haha.

I love the feel of a new start. Fresh new fabric. You create something from nothing. Blank becomes something beautiful.

Debbie was a favorite blogger of a lot of people and she really loved her new starts. I enjoyed following her blog and she would do new starts every day for most the year I think. But she really loved a challenge called Crazy January Challenge. So in 2015 I joined in. There were two versions. One you could start something new the first 15 days. So in 2015 I started 15 new pieces. I enjoyed it a lot. Debbie passed away one morning when she took her dogs out for a walk very unexpectedly. So in 2016 in her honor I started a new piece every day in January. It was crazy but yeah it was fun. Then I realized I just had too many new starts and needed finishes so I quit joining in.

I still do new starts though don't worry there. In fact this year already I've had 2 new starts...
The top one is Dragon Eye from an Etsy store called EvasDesignsBg. The bottom set is from a book called Sand, Sea & Cross Stitch. I'm doing them individually as little decorative pillows though. I finished up the 1st one in my last post. Scroll down and have a look if you haven't seen it.

So since I have a finish on the 1st January pillow and today's theme is New Starts what better reason for another new start today...
You've seen me stitch these little pieces before. This is another Erica Michaels Petite called 4 Seasons Winter. I'm hoping to finish all 4 seasons this year. The stitch count is 105 wide x 105 high but will end up being 2.6 inches square since it's stitched on 40ct silk gauze.

See ya back on my blog tomorrow for the opening WIPocalypse for the year. I'll finally reveal my goals for the year.

13 comments:

Justine said...

What beautiful projects you've chosen for your new starts! Debbie's was the first cross stitch blog I ever found. She was so generous with her time and encouraged me to start my own blog. I think of her often.

StitchThrifty said...

I try to limit starts, as they cause me anxiety if I get too many. I do like to start smalls to break up the boredom of some of my larger projects. I really like the Erica Michaels Petite, I think those will have to go on my wish list! {All your fault :)}

Janet said...

Young lady that explains so much abt your WIP pile. I enjoyed learning abt your starts. Also you always take on such challenging piece.

Unknown said...

Good luck with your new starts, hearing you have 71 wips makes me feel better about my 65 lol and I still want to really start two more but I'm holding off on it. If only us stitcher could live until we had stitched everything we wanted, that would be cool. Happy stitching!!!

Rachel said...

I'm excited for all of your new starts, but especially the Winter Petite as I know how much you enjoy stitching them, even though the size is insane! I'm very much looking forward to seeing your first update on that one. :)

Julie said...

Debbie was a lovely lady, I think of her often.
I like the new winter one.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in the People's Choice this month. I also think of Debbie often. She is still a member of the Hallowe'en Ornie Blog. I just couldn't remove her name from the list.

Lovely new start, a tiny one just for me!

Faith... said...

Debbie is missed by all and she was truly a special person. She was kind to everyone and offered so much support to everyone.

I like that new start and Erica Michaels has some really cute charts! But stitching on 40 count; ay, yi yi, to tiny for me!! Can't wait to move to the next post to see THE LIST!

Ariadne said...

Love your new starts, especially Sand Sea and Cross stitch!AriadnefromGreece!

Bethan said...

Good luck with all your new starts and your WIPs. Doing so many new starts to honour Debbie sounds like a lovely idea x

Astrids dragon said...

Great starts, you know I love the Dragon Eye!
I have a silk gauze I need to start, hopefully soon.

Carla - Alaska Wolf Pack said...

I miss Debbie too, but her spirit lives on in every crazy moment we all have to start something new right now "Because why not?" :D

FlashinScissors said...

Good luck with all your new starts!
I especially like the Sand, sea and cross stitch collection!
Look forward to seeing more of your stitching this year!
Hugs,
Barbara xx