Mar 18, 2019

Monday Update Big Finish

My IHSW (International Hermit Stitch Weekend) was busy busy and I ended up being gone more than I hermitted after all. But guess what happened last night...
(Finish #10) March 17th
Ocean in a Bottle from CutePatternsByMaria Etsy Shop
Stitched on 32ct Lambswool Lugana Evenweave
Threads are Suggested DMC
Started Mar 22nd, 2018. Took 34 Days. 
I started this one in March 2018. It was all Tiff's fault. She had posted a link to this Etsy shop and I fell in love with this pattern. I'm so glad she posted it because I'm still in love with this one. I really love how it turned out. I can't wait to take it to have it framed. It's marked off my YOW list now and boy that makes me so happy. 

We knew we had some plans Saturday. We loaded up into the truck and went to our local mall. It used to be the place to hang out. Now it just can't keep stores open. It still has JCPenney's though and we wanted to check out the clothes. We went to several stores (JCPenney, Lane Bryant, Torrid, and a few others) and I got more and more depressed. I decided I would like to have some "pretty" clothes for when we are in Vegas for Jeremiah's birthday celebration. I don't do pretty. I do comfortable. So I tried and tried and just in case you don't know clothes are EXPENSIVE when you aren't used to buying name brand clothes. I'm used to the Walmart kind of prices haha. I did end up finding 4 nice shirts and 1 pair of cute shorts. I tried on a dress and we laughed at how awkward it made me look. Just not me. I'm going to keep looking. Few more stores on our shopping list next week. We all ended up finding some new clothes though. So it was a good trip just took a lot longer than we thought it would. We ate a meal at a nice restaurant that moved into our mall called P.F. Changs. It's a delicious Asian restaurant.

When we got home our roommate told us our washing machine was broke. We got to looking and it was bought in 2003 so that's a pretty long time to last we weren't too upset. Mom and me went back out to Lowe's to look at a new set since we figured the dryer was the same age if you replace one might as well replace both. What a pain. We found the set we wanted though and went home to make the final decisions before placing the order. Hubby was looking at the washing machine to find some information on what capacity it was. He was looking on the internet for the model number and seen a YouTube video on a common problem. Guess what....he fixed it with a zip tie!! A lot cheaper than a new set. Worked like a charm. So at least we get a little longer out of them. The lady at the store said they typically last 6 to 7 years. We are sure doing good with our set. Whirlpool is the way to go.

I also got a text that my dad's side was getting together Sunday for my Grandpa's 83rd birthday at a Mexican restaurant that we really like. So hey let's go eat out again right? It was a great surprise since they didn't tell my grandparents we were coming. It was a great meal and fun conversation. We sat and talked forever so it was another long day not hermitting haha.

Last night though I finally got the final backstitch lines in. I swear the backstitching was annoying on this one. I'm used to just one color for the backstitch. This one changes and used several different ones to make a neat finished product but what a pain to follow and get it right. But guess what.....IT'S FINISHED!!! I'm so happy. Now I have no idea what's calling my attention. I hear a lot of whispers coming from my WIP totes. Just need to see which one becomes a scream.

16 comments:

Ariadne said...

Congratulations! Oh I love it, it is so so beautiful! AriadnefromGreece!

StitchThrifty said...

Congratulations! Beautiful finish!! You sure had a busy weekend but sounds fun! Looking forward to see what you start stitching next.

Pink Rose said...

wow Katie congrats your bottle is fantastic,loving he colours,well done my friend xx

Tiffstitch said...

I love this one so much!! You did such an amazing job, well done! I still haven't started mine.. but I will at some point. I will happily take the blame as it was so fun watching you get this done over the past month.

I've only made it to one P.F. Changs, there was one in Vegas when we were there 10 years ago, and yes, it was amazing! Good luck on the clothes hunt.

Mini said...

Congrats on such a beautiful finish.
You had a great weekend. I'm not into brands either..I think they are overrated.
How nice of your husband to fix the washing machine instead of buying a new one.

Happy birthday to your grandpa.

Rachel said...

Yay, congratulations! It's absolutely gorgeous and I'm so glad you found enough stitching time over the weekend to finish it off. Now I can't wait to see it framed! Me, impatient? Never!!
I empathise with the clothes shopping; it's not my favourite chore either, but at least you had some success. :)

Julie said...

Stunning finish, the backstitch shows up so well at the little details....well done!

Carla - Alaska Wolf Pack said...

CLAPPING WILDLY!! I looooooooooove your finish! I have that same Esty shopped faved and go there to test myself...buy or not to buy...

Your family weekend sounds like it was as wonderful as mine! You weren't kidding when you said you had a family weekend as well :D

Sasha said...

This looks amazing! I have this pattern, I just haven't started it yet. Maybe some day.... Yours looks so good!
Appliances can get so pricey! Take it from someone who just had to replace her stove. It's always great to squeeze a little more life out of them to save some coin!

Carol said...

Such a great finish, Katie! I love the way the backstitching brings out the details so well :)

Faith... said...

Clothes shopping... ugh. I used to hate buying clothes when I worked because we had to dress up even though we ONLY saw other coworkers in the office. Why, who knows! I too am a Walmart girl with the occasional trip to Target LOL because I believe in being comfortable (and thrifty) too. Glad Fred got the washer fixed!

Anyways, Ocean in a Bottle is gorgeous! You did a great job on it. Is it for you or your Mom?

Ann C. said...

Congratulations Katie, you did a beautiful job stitching it!!

rosey175 said...

What a fantastic finish! I feel like I blinked and this one was done. It will be wonderful to have it framed! The backstitching is amazing and I just love the little dolphin in this piece.

Clothes shopping... eh, I buy 95% of my stuff at thrift stores. So I'm really scandalized by retail prices lol!

Glad you were able to squeeze more time out of your washer! I'd rather not think of appliances... The washing machine that came with our house is rather atrocious (only one setting - warm or cold, no different heights or agitation speeds) and can only do very small loads. I really do want a new one, but this one still gets clothes clean. Typically lasting 6-7 years is terrible. They should last much longer. This would put me on a soapbox over planned obsolescence so I'd better scoot ahaha

Astrids dragon said...

Awesome Sauce, what a beautiful finish! This is such a beautiful piece, it really looks fantastic. I hope you frame it soon, it needs to be displayed!
I have to be in the mood for shopping, sounds like you were all in the mood for it.
Isn't it nice to have a handyman around?!
Getting together with family is always fun, especially when you can surprise them every once in a while.

Sue said...

Congratulations! It's a beautiful piece.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Congratulations on the Happy Dance for the Ocean in a Bottle. It's a beautiful design and I can see why you HAD to stitch it.
Glad you enjoyed the weekend too. Don't ask me about pretty clothes, I always went for black for my best clothes, lace, velvet and beads but still black!