Mar 27, 2019

Snowy Owl Snowman Finish

Just had to stop in to report on the finished Snowy Owl Snowman Mill Hill Kit...
(Finish #11) March 26th
Snowy Owl Snowman Mill Hill Kit
Jim Shore 2015 # JS20-5103
Using Kit Materials
Stitched on Perforated Paper
Finished on one of Grandpa Faust's Trees
Started June 22, 2017 for Longest Day SAL with Jo. Took 6 Days.

Wait what's that behind the snowman you might be asking? Well it's how I decided to finish him off...
My Grandpa Faust made these Christmas trees for my mom's business so many many years ago. Mom painted this one to show how they could be finished. For some reason though she decided not to sell it. She kept it. Fast forward many many decades later and for some reason it was laying in Jeremiah's school room in a basket. I had seen it several times and thought I needed to do something with it. When I showed the snowman to Mom one day while it was in progress I said I was thinking of gluing it to something to finish it. She said something about the tree. She had seen it and almost put it away with our Christmas things. I said Hm I wonder if that will work. Last night I finished the stitching on the snowman. This morning I grabbed the tree and yep.....it fits PERFECT of course. Love it!!! Just so in love with how it turned out. Definitely meant to be!! Plus it's another finished finish....WOHOO!!

Got all my stuff packed for the weekend stitching retreat. I kitted up two little Easter freebie pieces to take along with me. I am also taking Dragon Eye along. There will be 2 class pieces that I will probably work on too. So the stitching bag is packed and ready to go. Oh yeah I packed clothes too haha. We hit the road tomorrow morning. Have a great weekend!

15 comments:

Sue said...

Katie, love the snowman and the way you FFOed it makes it really special.

Have fun at your stitching retreat. Looking forward to hearing about it...unless of course, what happens at retreat, stays at retreat! lol

Ariadne said...

It looks lovely with the tree! Have fun in the retreat! AriadnefromGreece!

Carol said...

How nice to be able to display that cute snowman with your Grandpa's tree, Katie--just perfect! Enjoy your retreat--sounds like such fun :)

Faith... said...

He looks great and it is the perfect finish Katie!

Have a safe but fun trip!

Pink Rose said...

Hi Katie wow I love your snowman and it does go perfect with the Xmas tree,well done my friend and I hope you have a wonderful time at retreat xx

Janet said...

I love your snowman and finish it on the tree is amazing. I am completely jealous about going to retreat tell everyone I said hi I can’t wait to see what you do with Cathy from hands on design she is one of my favorites.

StitchThrifty said...

That is a fabulous finish for the snowman. I stitched this piece for a friend a few years ago, I enjoyed it. Have a fabulous retreat, hopefully you't get a few stitches in!! :)

Sasha said...

Great finish. Have fun on your retreat! I can't wait to see the pictures!

Rachel said...

Congratulations on your finish, which I think is even more impressive as it was a project you weren't keen on when his name was pulled out of the box. He's so sweet, and using the tree as the background to fully finish him is a work of inspiration. It was definitely meant to be!
I hope you have a fantastic retreat weekend - remember, you're there to stitch as well as chat! :)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

That is the perfect finish for this piece! Your Mum needs to start painoting more things for you to finish with your stitchin.

Have a wonderful retreat, we expect to hear all about it soon.

Mini said...

Lovely snowman finish and how nice to use your Grandpa's tree.

have a good time at the retreat.

Julie said...

He's great and looks perfect attached to the tree

Astrids dragon said...

I love, love, love, this little guy! He looks even better with your beautiful family made tree!

Bethan said...

Such a cute snowman, and I love the extra special finish with the family tree x

Carla - Alaska Wolf Pack said...

What an adorable FFO!!