Jul 15, 2019

Debbie Challenges Revisted

Jo had a fun idea to have a flash back post. Back in 2014 the blog world lost a beautiful person Debbie from California. She always had a wonderful comment on every post I made. I loved seeing her projects. She was always working on something that I would enjoy too. We had very similar tastes. It was a joy to read her blog and read my comments section each day. She loved new starts. In her honor we had some January challenges. We were talking about how many of those challenge pieces we finished on Rachel's FFG check in post last time. Saturday the 13th Jo said was Debbie's birthday so we thought a recap post in her honor would be nice. I'm a little late but here it is. Here is Jo's post. She has finished up all but 2 of her 2015 starts. Rachel has a post here celebrating she has completely finished her 2016 new starts and finished finished them as well. So now they got me curious. I have a feeling I will be really sad when I finish pulling this post together haha.

Jo's explained it perfect so here is her explanation of what the challenges were:
CJC = Crazy January Challenge, one new start for the first 15 days of January
UCJC = Ultimate Crazy January Challenge, one new start for all 31 days of January
DUCJC = Debbie's Ultimate Crazy January Challenge, stitch 31 projects one per day for January
SDUCJC = Super Duper Ultimate Crazy January Challenge, 60 starts throughout January and February
 
2015 I did CJC. Just 15 new starts in January.
 
Day 1 -- First of the set of 6 called Christmas Pals Ornaments from Dimensions. I finished the stitching and also finished these as a set of cubes when I finished them all through that year...
 
Day 2 -- I started Think Big by Heritage Crafts. I finished it up in May but it's still in my finished bin waiting to be made into something so it can be displayed. 

Day 3 -- Wish Upon a Starfish by Designs by Lisa. Still a WIP. Really want to finish it this year. We'll see...

Day 4 -- Summer Breeze a Mill Hill Kit. Still a WIP. I don't think I've picked this one up again honestly so it barely has anything on it. This is what it will look like though...


Day 5 -- Spring from Seasonal Wordplay booklet. I finished it in June but it is still waiting to be finished up and on display...
Day 6 -- Let's Be Jolly from Imaginating. Finished up in December still waiting in my box of shame...
Day 7 -- Blackwork Dragon from Dragon Dreams. I finished this one before the end of January that year. This one is hanging proudly on my wall. Loved working on it...
Day 8 -- Winter Wordplay another by Imaginating. Finished the stitching in February that year. This is another finish waiting in my box of shame...
Day 9 -- Family Blessing by Needle Bling Designs. Another one that has never been back out. I made a mistake on it when I started and then didn't pick it back up. Here is what it will look like...
Day 10 -- Inner Tube by Mill Hill.
Last time I worked on it was 2016. I haven't made much progress on it...
Day 11 -- Fall Wordplay. Finished it in November that year and it sits waiting to be finished with the others...
Day 12 --  Impronta D'Amore by Alessandra Adelaide (AAN) I nicknamed this one Paw Print. It has been out only a few times and the last time was in December 2015...
Day 13 -- Life Without Snow from Stoney Creek. Finished in December that year. Still waiting in box of shame. At least it has really good company to wait with doesn't it?
Day 14 -- Let's Be Wicked another word play design. Finished in October that year. Yep it's waiting in the box of shame with the others.
Day 15 -- Summer the last seasonal wordplay design from the Seasonal wordplay book. Finished in September that year.

So I have only 2 finished and able to be displayed. How sad! But there are 8 waiting to be finished for Rachel's FFG SAL. 2 are still WIPs. Only 3 have never been back out. So about what I figured haha.

Then in 2016 I joined in the DUCJC and started a new project every day for all of January. I didn't care about finishes as much then obliviously haha. I won't post pictures of all them but give me a second to tally the list up...

Fully Finished Off -- 9
Need Finished Off -- 9
WIP Status -- 4
Never Back Out -- 9

Not bad really. Still a lot waiting to be finished......I know I know Rachel haha.

I could do a year full of starting new pieces I'm sure with my stash of waiting to be started patterns but I am really trying hard to finish the pieces I have in my two tubs of WIPs. Plus this year you can tell by my counts on the side. I'm trying to FULLY finish my stitching instead of hiding it away. So I'm doing better in my opinion. Honestly stitching is about the process for me. I love the joy of stitching. Not so much having to show off my finishes. Of course that part is nice too though. I'm sure I will always be the kind of person to have a bunch of things going at the same time. I love being about switch out projects if I get bored.

More so than anything by doing this recap I realized how long some of us have been friends. Jo, Rachel and several others posted on those new starts then and still comment now. How fun to think how long we've known each other. Just random strangers with the same hobby. I can't say enough how much I love blogging and the people I have met because of it. I really enjoyed this look back. I always wonder what the next blog game/SAL/challenge will be.

11 comments:

Pink Rose said...

Hi Katie wow so much eye candy,love all of your beautiful projects,well done my friend xx

Cathy said...

A nice variety of starts. I remember when you started some of these too, but I wasn't commenting on blogs back then.

Julie said...

I think you did really well.
It's all about the enjoyment and there's certainly a lot of that in the stitching and crafting community.

Ariadne said...

Congratulations. So many beautiful things finished. Well done. AriadnefromGreece!

Shebafudge said...

I love so many of your wonderful designs. I never realised that you have stitched so many wordplay designs.

Debbie still leaves a huge hole in our hearts which just shows the impact she had to the stitching community. I bet she would have a YouTube channel by now and it would be AMAZING!

Justine said...

Love this post so much. I often think of Debbie. Hers was the first cross stitch blog I discovered and she was always so generous with her time, talents and comments!
It was lovely to see some of your finishes and WIPs again!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

This is a wonderful post! You really do need to get those Wordplays fully finished, they will make a great seasonal display.
At least Rachel can be confident her SAL will continue for quite some time!
I also love the friendships we have made over the years. Some have fallen by the wayside but there are always new people joining us.

Faith... said...

I too think of Debbie often. She was so kind with both her words and actions. I truly miss her blogging.

You have so many beautifully stitched pieces Katie! I love those snowmen and the wordplays. I always say I am going to do one...one of these days. Hope you can manage to get some of these out of the WIP box and into the finished box.

Mini said...

What a great way to honor Debbie. Wow you do love the word designs.
Do what you enjoy if its stitching and starting new designs , then be it.

Rachel said...

As with Jo's post, this was a brilliant trip down memory lane. I found myself saying 'yes, I remember that one' to all of them! Think Big is still one of my favourites and needs to be framed NOW, OK?!
I agree that the journey is the fun part of stitching and that FFOing often feels like a bit of an anti-climax, especially when it is impossible to display everything at the same time.
I would love to see all of the 2016 projects together too; if you didn't want to do a post, how about a page us nosey bloggers can snoop at?
And don't feel too bad about how many you haven't picked up since that first day; it's not as if you've been idle in the meantime! And if it makes you feel any better, I have 19 from January/February 2015 which I haven't touched since that first day either - ooops! :)

Astrids dragon said...

Oh my, so many lovely pieces! Look at all those wordplays, such fun!