Nov 7, 2022

Monday Update

What a week it's been. I got a call from Surgeon and they moved my surgery to Friday. They had an emergency surgery come up. Fred decided to go ahead with taking Thursday off work so we could get some other things taken care of. We went to pick up mom's ashes...

She has line of sight of the TV which was her favorite thing in the world well other than the ocean. A family friend got me a stuffed Snoopy which she also loved so it is sitting right beside her. I also got a new comfy chair to sit in...

So much more comfortable than the wooden rocker we had in the spot. Which fit perfect in between our two beds to replace a much more uncomfortable chair that we had there. This chair is perfect for long stitching hours ladies. Love it!! Also perfect for my surgery recover as well. 

I was worried about the early morning surgery. They called the day before and we needed to arrive at 12:30pm. Perfect. So we slept in and took our time. I went in for surgery about 4pm. I was waking up about 6pm. The doctor told Fred that when they cut the muscle in my chest the Xyphoid popped even more out so it was definitely ready to come out. Hope this photo doesn't bother anyone I find it fascinating...

The top square is the incision and then they also put in a pain pump. The two tubes you see. It seeps numbing medicine directly into the muscle area slowly. Purpose is to have people on less opioids. I still have one for pain management. But this helped a lot I'm sure. I had a little purse that held the ball of medicine...

The thing was annoying. I was so worried about pulling the tube out. But it probably helped me stay still. Last night I noticed a wet spot on my shirt and after we got to looking the medicine was leaking around the bandage. After a quick call the surgery team said I had probably healed and the medicine wasn't going into my skin any more. Luckily we could remove the tubes by ourselves. Quick YouTube look and I seen several videos of how to remove it. So Fred was able to painlessly remove it. Ahhh I was free of the tubes. Today I notice no real pain difference. I guess a little more tightness but very manageable. Follow up appointment Nov 23rd which is great since Fred has the day off that day. 

No pushing or pulling for 6 weeks. Light duty. No lifting. All those make sense type of things. So I'm taking a break and poor me I will have more stitching time haha. Fred and Jeremiah are doing fantastic taking care of me. I'm a lucky girl. Spike is so sweet too. He can sure tell something is wrong...

He loves to sit beside me and hold my hand. So adorable. He is being very gentle. He nudges my shirt and wants to smell my stomach and then lays his head down and pouts. It's just precious. So I will be okay. Just need time to heal.

Life has been working out. Jeremiah and me were talking this morning about how things are just falling into place. We are doing well. Of course we miss my mother dearly but I swear this was all meant to be. We are moving on. We are okay. Yes I still feel up with tears. She was my life for 43 years. But now I have a new purpose myself.

I finished up the Embroidery challenge. I fulfilled the requirements. Here is where the Ice Monster ended...

Then I started working on the last Year of Celebrations piece again. Here is where I am right now...

So we've been busy. But happy. Loving life. I'm going to go get my stuff done that I want to do and STITCH. Love yourself. Smile. See ya next Monday.

6 comments:

diamondc said...

Hi Katie: It is good to hear your surgery went well, I hope you have a quick recovery.
I love your new chair it looks very comfy.
Nice progress on stitching.
I am sure Spike knows you are healing what a sweetheart Spike is.

Catherine

Claudette497 said...

I'm so glad the surgery went well - hope you have a relaxing recovery!

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

I've been out of the blogging loop for a while, so I need to go back through your posts to read more about what's been going on. I'm so sorry to hear about your mother but glad you've found a place for her. Your new stitching (and recovery) chair looks very comfortable. And I don't know why, but I really love your ice monster. Can't wait to see more updates. Happy healing and stitching! -Andrea @ Goofin' Off Around the Block

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I’m so glad the surgery went so well. Now it’s time to enjoy that stitching chair and recover.
I’m sure your Mum will be watching over you as she watches the TV too!

Faith... said...

The TV is a nice place of honor for your Mom. She can hear all the shows you watch while you keep an eye on her. Looks like a comfy stitching chair for you. Glad the surgery was a success for you and Spike looks like he was helping to take good care of you while you recovered. I never saw those pain balls before but what a good odea, especially if it helps you get home faster! I am very glad to hear that your guys are moving on with life since that is usually the hardest part. The Ice Monster looks great!

Astrids dragon said...

I'm so glad your surgery went well and it sounds like you're well on your way to recovery! Your chair looks very comfy, a perfect stitching spot for you, and Spike has a great place to sit next to you.
The Ice Monster is looking rather spooky and bring on October!
It's nice to have your Mom close by, I have a beautiful photo of my Mom that I see every day.