Oct 4, 2018

Vacation Day 11

On our to do list today was visiting a Gettysburg Diorama. This is basically Gettysburg battlefield done in miniatures. We have always loved miniatures. My mom even sold a lot of miniatures in her business she started.
It was a 30 minute presentation and we really enjoyed it a lot. The table would light up where the narrator was talking about. It was really neat when they talked about the sun being down the lights all went off. The town had lights in all the little windows and there was little fires throughout the woods where the troops would all have been camping. It was so neat! So detailed. So much work put into it.

In the basement of this building was a Spirits of Gettysburg experience. It was kind of like a haunted house but not really scary. They had TVs setup to make it look like ghosts were telling their stories. Things in the room would move and Jeremiah jumped a thousand times at least. We all enjoyed it though.

In order to get down to the basement there was a personal elevator. Jeremiah has been in countless of them. He never has a problem. (Hear the foreshadowing?) I told them in the museum I appreciate them having it so that Jeremiah can see the experience too. We were ready to go back up...
Yep it quit. The frantic lady called the lady from the diorama upstairs. They were trying everything. Flipping switches. Checking power boxes. Pushing buttons. They called the building owner and he broke countless traffic laws to get there in a few seconds. He got out of the vehicle apologizing. Jeremiah said You know what? It's an open elevator. I'm okay. He could talk to us the whole time.
It wouldn't help to freak out would it? I noticed the door had a lock on it to keep the door from opening unless it was all the way up or all the way down. I asked the guy if he had that key. Of course he had never needed it before so he said he had no idea where it was. I heard them talking about calling the fire department. I said something about the key again and he went to look and found it thankfully. Jeremiah was about as far down as he would be climbing into Fred's truck. The guy was very happy to jump down into the elevator with Jeremiah and help him climb out. Next task was to lift the wheelchair out. What an adventure. They couldn't apologize any more. I told them it was my fault for saying how nice it was they had an elevator. It had just been inspected this month too for $300. I bet the owner will be getting his money back on that. I told Jeremiah at least I had something to blog about now.

We drove through a little of the battleground and looked at the monuments. This has sure been a neat place to explore. So much history has happened here.

3 comments:

Faith... said...

WOW I am sure you being a Mom were in a panic! I know I would have been. Thankfully Jeremiah took it well and it hada happy ending!

Astrids dragon said...

Oh my, the kind of excitement you weren't looking for! At least he seems happy about! I'm glad it was an open one and he was able to get out safely. I bet they looked into fixing that straight away.

Julie said...

More than one adventure here then!